After Sneaky Mommy made that great award slide show for me, I realized I was really behind in acknowledging and thanking people for awards they had given me. So I decided to do one today. In early February, the very inspirational TesoriTrovati – jewelry designer extraordinaire — gave me the Honest Scrap Award, which I really like because it has you list 10 honest things about yourself. Never one to miss an opportunity to talk about myself, I am giving this one a second go-around and tell you 10 more things you might not know about me!
1. I was once on a competitive canoeing team. Yet another opportunity brought to me by the Girl Scouts. And let me tell you, competitive canoeing is really hard! We had to sit on our knees and paddle like mad women for 5 long miles. I could NEVER do this today!
2. I can clear a dance floor with my song requests. A few years back, my husband and I went on our first cruise with a group of friends. This being pre-kid days, we were actually out and about after 7:00 p.m. and enjoying drinks and dancing at one of the lounges. The dance floor was pretty crowded and everyone was having fun. So I went up and requested one of my favorite songs at the time “Ignition” by R. Kelly. The DJ played it, and the dance floor cleared out in about 10 seconds. Feeling obligated to dance to my own request, I stuck it out and realized that, while a groovy song, it is really hard to dance to. But then, perhaps everyone was protesting R. Kelly’s less-than-stellar personal life.
3. I am terrified of earthworms. When it rains and they are out on the sidewalk, I am borderline hysterical. I think this phobia originated in childhood when my brothers made a big ball of worms and threw it at me.
4. I once pooped my pants — and not when I was a baby. I was on a camping trip while in high school (!) with a church youth group. Before we went on a hike, I ate something like a half a pound of grapes. About 20 minutes into the hike, I felt a sudden and urgent desire to … well, you know, defecate. I ran into the woods to do my business, had dropped my drawers, and was getting ready to squat, when a bunch of fishermen started walking up another trail not 5 feet from my makeshift toilet. What would you do??? Stay and poop in full view of a bunch of men or poop your pants? I chose that latter. I think it was the right choice.
5. I once played Jesus in a church Easter pageant … in high school. We had a really cool and progressive priest. It was quite the scandal to the little old ladies of the congregation. You know … ’cause I was a GIRL!
6. I get Rip Taylor and Rip Torn mixed up.
7. I have trouble saying my R’s when I am tired. I think this is due to the fact that I lived in Japan between the ages of 1 and 3, the time when I was learning to talk. I had to go to a speech therapist when I was in kindergarten to learn how to say my Rs. When I’m tired or talking fast, I still make an “L” sound instead of an R or drop the Rs altogether.
8. I once ate a lunch of raw octopus, chocolate torte and orange juice. This was to prove to my parents that I didn’t always order a cheeseburger, fries and a Coke every time we ate out. I do not recommend eating these three items together.
9. In grade school, I once wore a peach-colored t-shirt with John Travolta as Vinnie Barbarino on the front with pantyhose and clogs. I wore nothing under the t-shirt (it was quite long so I wore it as a dress). I thought this was fashionable. I was wrong.
10. I once dislocated my kneecap while sitting down at a picnic table. It was embarrassing — I mean WHO DOES THAT? I had to have physical therapy for it.
So now is the time when I give the Honest Scrap award to someone else, who in turn must list 10 honest things about themselves. Hmmm…who to pick? Who to pick? I hate picking people for awards so, without looking first, I am going to pick the 8th person listed on my blogroll right now. So Michelle at One Crafty Mama — you are now the proud owner of the Honest Scrap Award! Feel free to play or ignore entirely — the choice is yours!