So I’ve told you about this blogger before — Debbie over at Suburb Sanity. Did you go visit her when I told you to? No? Well, now you will have no choice because I’ve gone over and lifted one of my favorite posts from her blog and published it here so you have no excuses like “My finger hurts. I can’t click on the link.” Now you must read the comic genius that is Debbie and you will laugh and you will like it. And you will get a chance to feel good about yourself because this post is about a life accomplishment list that is for real people. No more feeling guilty because you’ve never traveled to Nepal or milked a cow. No — this list is for people like you and me. Enjoy!
The Life Accomplishment List Done My Way
Have you all seen that meme going around with the 99 (or 100 – depends on who is doing it) things to accomplish in life? You are supposed to copy the list onto your blog and highlight the ones you have done. The list is full of sweetness like “#2. Slept under the stars” and “#7. Been to Disneyland/world”. It is making the rounds and if you haven’t seen it, I am sure you will.
But not here.
Although I counted up what I had done in my head while reading the list on Ron’s blog, I’m not going to post it here. Do any of you think I’ve ridden on a gondola in Venice? Does anyone care?
So, in honor of all that is right and true with my blog, I proudly present the Suburb Sanity Top 32 (because 99 or 100 is just really too much, isn’t it?).
- Started something you actually finished
- Stood at the bottom of a mountain and thought “wonder why people climb that?”
- Been booed off a karaoke stage
- Visited Detroit
- Given someone food poisoning
- Walked to the top of a flight of 8 stairs
- Grown your own hallucinogens
- Seen a reproduction of famous artwork done on black velvet
- Slept on a train or other public transportation and not known why
- Held a possum
- Driven by an area where people were running a marathon
- Taught yourself your native language
- Told someone to quit complaining since they appear to have enough money to be satisfied
- Wondered about the whole “Michelangelo’s David” relationship
- Been bought a meal in a restaurant by a stranger (or the owner after you skipped out on the bill)
- Looked up Africa on a map
- Ran along a street by moonlight with nice gentlemen in blue escorting you
- Had your mug shot taken
- Ruined a business
- Eaten a whole box of Girl Scout cookies in one sitting
- Threatened a Girl Scout if she tried to take back said cookies.
- Read a book
- Had your name in the newspaper in a section other than “police blotter”
- Been on the wrong end of a jury
- Walked all over town with old underwear hanging out the bottom of one pant leg
- Forgotten to pick up one of your kids until someone called you to ask if you had been in a terrible accident
- Eaten an entire container of ice cream – not the small one either – from the container with a spoon – in one sitting
- Hidden the evidence of #27 under something really disgusting in the trash can
- Ducked behind furniture to keep from answering the doorbell to some person collecting for something
- Hidden in your bedroom/bathroom/closet to eat something so the kids wouldn’t know
- Bought something and hidden the evidence from your spouse
- Interpreted that “7-second rule” to be any multiple of 7, and then served the saved item to guests.
Well, I think we can all agree that this is a much more realistic list of life accomplishments. That other list just made me feel so inadequate. I hope you are finding that you, too, have already achieved most of these and can cross off the remaining few with just a few, simple steps. May this help you have a fulfilled weekend.