Participate, read, comment!
This week, I’m choosing:
5.) Time for a trip? Where are you headed this summer?…Or where would you go if you COULD.
Well, yes, Mama Kat, it is time for a trip. I’ll be leaving for South Dakota with the Little One on Saturday for a family reunion. And, on the same day, Mr. Jenners will be taking a little trip of his own — to Las Vegas.
Now I ask you: which one of us is going on a vacation and which one of us is going on a trip?
Let’s compare the two journeys, shall we?
- I will be flying with a small child on the longest flight ever attempted with said child thus far.
- I will be staying in the home of a relative where I will most likely be sharing a full-size bed with a 4-year-old who kicks and moves throughout the night.
- I will be eating primarily store-bought food made by non-professional chefs.
- My entertainment options include child-centered activities such as visits to a zoo, playground, park and butterfly garden.
- My destination is a relatively obscure town in the West, where almost no one visits on a voluntary basis.
- I will not have my own car to “escape” if needed.
- I will face the high probability of reverting to my childhood persona of melodramatic nag after spending more than three full days in the company of my entire family.
- I will most likely uncover old resentments and hurts that have been long buried but not forgotten with each family member.
- I will face a long return journey home alone with what will probably be a very cranky and overtired child.
Mr. Jenners Trip
- He will be flying alone with limitless entertainment options (movie, book, radio, magazines) that can be enjoyed at his leisure.
- He will be staying in a hotel with a king-sized bed all to himself (with daily maid service).
- He will be taking advantage of the limitless culinary delights found in Las Vegas.
- His entertainment options include: gambling, movies, sightseeing, world-class shows, relaxed shopping opportunities, visits to the desert to photograph wildlife, strip clubs, drinking, swimming.
- His destination is a tourist mecca for adults.
- He will have his own rental car to get him wherever he wants to go.
- He will be unencumbered by anyone — able to do what he wants, when he wants.
- He will most likely have only pleasant encounters with fellow adults who are in town to have a good time or professional staff who want only to provide him with the best possible vacation.
- He will face a long return journey home but will be able to sleep if he wants … or do anything else he feels like (watch a movie, read a book, read a magazine, listen to the radio)
I think it is safe to say that Mr. Jenners is going on a vacation, and I will be going on a trip. And I tell you, if I hear that he upgraded his return ticket to first class, I will begin divorce proceedings immediately upon my return home.
And by the way, while I’m gone, I’ve arranged for some excellent guest posters to take care of you in my absence! Blogger permitting, the posts will start publishing on Monday and I have one scheduled for every day next week. Everyone came up with some great stuff for you so be sure to show them some love! And I’ll see you all when I get back…if you haven’t deserted me for the lovely bloggers I’m going to showcase while I’m gone!