As you might know, I’ve been going through a tough time with the recent passing of my dad and a good friend, so anything happy or fun is extra-special right now. One such moment was getting to hold my neighbor’s brand-new baby the other day (totally forgot how tiny newborns are!!!). Another was my son’s first day of kindergarten yesterday — he just LOVED it (though I suspect his favorite part was riding on the school bus). And yet another such moment was getting notified that this blog was shortlisted for three Book Blogger Appreciation Week (BBAW) awards! I was so pleasantly surprised! This blog ended up getting shortlisted in three categories:
- Most Chatty
- Best Challenge Host
- Best Challenge
I’m so honored and thrilled. When I told Mr. Jenners, he said “Cool. But what challenge are you talking about?” I had to remind him about the Take A Chance Challenge and how he helped me come up with a few of the ideas when I was running out of gas and felt I had to have 10 different challenges. (For the record, he came up with Phone An Author.) Naturally, he then assumed that the challenge being shortlisted was due to his brilliance and creativity and that it would have never happened had he not gotten involved. (Typical man!) I just smiled and nodded and thought “What an ass.”
I want to thank you the award panelists for shortlisting my blog for these three awards. It truly is an honor. And again, thanks to you guys for nominating this blog in the first place.
So BBAW voting is now open. (Voting closes on September 12th so vote soon!) There are ton of categories, and you can find the links to all the shortlisted blogs in each category right here. I read somewhere they it is suggested that we link to the 5 blog posts that we submitted so here are mine.
For Most Chatty, I submitted these posts (which, in retrospect, make me seem like a Twilight groupie!):
- Oh What A Glorious Mail Day
- Week Two Game On Diet Update
- Does Twilight Deserve To Be A Bestseller?
- Thoughts On Jane Eyre
- Help! Stephenie Meyer Has Hijacked My Reading
For Best Challenge Host, I submitted these posts. (Though I haven’t been the “Hostess with the Mostest” lately due to personal reasons but I will get around to visit your posts soon! I promise.)
- Take A Chance Challenge Sign-Up and Guidelines
- My Take A Chance Challenge Books
- I Found My Public Spying Book!
- Where To Post Your Take A Chance Challenge Posts
- Take A Chance Challenge Chat
For Best Challenge, I think they just looked at the initial idea, which was posted here.
But BBAW is much more than just the awards. It is a great opportunity to get to discover other book blogs. And did you hear that My Friend Amy (the founder of BBAW) said there were more than 1,000 book blogs participating this year? Isn’t that amazing? One way to participate is to write and post the daily BBAW writing prompts. I’m planning to do as many of them as I can. Here is the link to the prompts, but I thought I’d list them here too for your convenience. I think all of them are fantastic and thought-provoking. Be sure to go to the BBAW blog and link up your post each day using Mr. Linky. (If Mr. Linky scares you, there is a wonderful tutorial on the BBAW blog.)
BBAW Prompt for Monday, September 14
The shortlists for the awards will be announced next Monday, September 7th. The first day of BBAW, Monday September 14th, we encourage you to write a post thanking and spotlighting your favorite blogs that didn’t make the shortlists.
BBAW Prompt for Tuesday, September 15
We will post our blogger interview swaps.
BBAW Prompt for Wednesday September 16
Reading Meme. We encourage you to be creative with this! Please choose one or two questions below to answer or try to answer all the questions in five words or less. Or choose a picture to answer a question! Brevity is the goal of today!
- Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
- Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
- How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
- Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
- Hard copy or audiobooks?
- Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
- If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
- What are you currently reading?
- What is the last book you bought?
- Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
- Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?
- Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
- Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
- How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
BBAW Prompt for Thursday, September 17
Today we encourage you to blog about a book you read only because you discovered it on another book blog. Preferably, this will be a book you loved! You might also write a bit about the blog you discovered it on!
BBAW Prompt for Friday, September 18
Setting Goals. Write in 50 words or less…what do you like best about your blog right now and where would you like your blog to be a year from now?
So get voting and get writing! If nothing else, BBAW provides you with an easy week of posting — no need to think up post ideas on your own!