This week’s question comes from Kathy at Bermudaonion’s Weblog who asks:
If you could be a character from any book, who would you be?
You mean aside from being Bella and having hot vampire sex with Edward Cullen?
Well, the very first person who popped into my head is Lisbeth Salander … AKA The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest. (All written by Steig Larsson. And I was lucky enough to score an ARC of the last book and just finished it and IT ROCKS!!!!)
I would want to be Lisbeth because:
- She kicks serious ass.
- She weighs about 90 pounds.
- She is amazingly smart.
- She is good at math.
- She is rich beyond imagination (well, after the end of the first book).
- She inspires faith and loyalty in good people despite her best efforts to alienate them.
- She isn’t afraid to be alone.
- She has a clear sense of what is right.
- She is not afraid of anybody.
- She knows what she wants and she gets it.
- She can take care of herself.
- She can take a bullet to the head and survive.
- She is mysterious and tough yet vulnerable.
- She is good with computers.
- She protects those she cares about despite the cost to herself.
- She has a unique fashion sense.
- She lived through hell but survived and thrived.
- She never deviates from her moral code.
In short, Lisbeth Salander is pretty much my polar opposite … as I weigh significantly more, can’t hack a computer to save my life, suck at math, fear high schoolers, can be read like an open book, dress like a colorblind retiree, would crumble under interrogation, cooperate with the police, and would probably leave you in a lurch if my life was threatened. And I’m almost 100% sure I would die if shot in the head.
In other words, Lisbeth Salander is the kind of woman I fantasize about being. If I had even a tenth of her strength, conviction and intelligence, I’d be a force to be reckoned with.
I’ve always wanted to be a bad-ass, and Lisbeth Salander is about as bad-ass as they come.
- Tuesday: My review of The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest
- Wednesday: A poem that celebrates Lisbeth Salander (either one I can find or one I will write … subject to cancellation if I can’t come up with anything)
- Thursday: A review of the movie The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
- Friday: A giveaway of the first two books in the Millennium Trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire
I hope you’ll join in and celebrate with me. (Of course, half of the book blogging world is at BEA right now but what can you do?)
So what about you? Is there is a book character you would want to become? Do you long to have an bad-ass alter ego like me or would you want to become someone a little less wild?