Join the fun over at Mama’s Losin’ It
This week, I’m choosing prompt 4: What ‘chapters of your life’ would there be? Make a list of your life’s chapters. Choose one. Write five possible opening sentences to that chapter. Then write five possible ending sentences to that chapter. (inspired by writingfix.com)
- Chapter 1: In Utero (or “Gee, It Sure Is Dark And Wet And Warm In Here. Could Someone Please Turn On The Lights?”)
- Chapter 2: My Triumphant Arrival (or “My Too Short Reign As The First Child, First Grandchild And First Niece”)
- Chapter 3: Life In Japan (or “Why I Can’t Pronounce My Rs And Love Raw Fish”)
- Chapter 4: The Arrival of Brother Number One (or “That Bawling Baby Is Stealing My Spotlight!”)
- Chapter 5: The Arrival of Brother Number Two (or “In Which I Begin My Life-Long Struggle To Hog All The Attention That Was Rightfully Mine For Four Years And Abruptly Snatched Away “)
- Chapter 6: The School Years (or “The Slow Descent Into Nerdiness”)
- Chapter 7: The College Years (or “It Is Possible To Live On Noodles And Pizza For Four Years Straight”)
- Chapter 8: The First Job (or “I Wish I’d Learned More Practical Things During College…I Feel Like I’m Totally Faking It!”)
- Chapter 9: The Second Year of the First Job (or “Oh…I Get It. Everyone Is Faking It!)
- Chapter 10: More Jobs (or “I Begin My Illustrious Career In Insubordination Coupled With Good Work That Makes Me Unfireable”)
- Chapter 11: The First Marriage (or “In Which I Learn the Difficult Lesson That You Can’t Change Someone And I Picked A Bad Match For Me”)
- Chapter 12: Divorce (or “Extricating Myself As Delicately And Amicably As Possible From A Bad Situation”)
- Chapter 13: Dating Again (or “You Can Meet People Via Online Dating Sites … But Most Of Them Will Be Weirdos”)
- Chapter 14: Meeting Mr. Jenners (or “This One Might Be Worth Keeping”)
- Chapter 15: The Second Marriage (or “This Time I Got It Right (I Hope)”)
- Chapter 16: Pregnancy (or “Jeez .. That Took Longer Than I Thought And Now I’m Going To Be An Old Mom”)
- Chapter 17: The Little One’s Arrival (or “Free Time and Sleep, I Miss Ye And I Feel Like I Hardly Knew Ye”)
- Chapter 18: Being A Stay-At-Home Mom (or “Why An Inherently Lazy Person Needs Structure Or Will Find Herself Struggling And Bored”)
- Chapter 19: The Little One Begins School (or “OK … This Is A Much Better Balance. How Long Can I Ride This Stay-At-Home Mom Train Until Mr. Jenners Kicks Me Off?”)
For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out which one to write opening and ending sentences for so I had Random.org pick and it chose Chapter 2: My Triumphant Arrival (or “My Too Short Reign As The First Child, First Grandchild And First Niece”)
Possible Opening Sentences:
- Suddenly, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, and I thought “That is odd as I am in the breech position.”
- The doctor who delivered me swears that, at the moment at my birth, the world stopped rotating for brief moment and the angels in heaven sang.
- “Who is this Jennifer they are all going on about,” I wondered.
- It was a dark and stormy night.
- The stupid placenta kept trying to push its way out ahead of me, and I was having none of it.
Possible Ending Sentences:
- Finally some solid food!
- As the plane took off and started flying to Tokyo, my mother said “Well, we’re not in Pennsylvania anymore.”
- Being a benevolent princess, I chose to sleep through the night during my very first week at home.
- In the end, I decided I was ambivalent about toilet training … but it seemed important to mom.
- As mother combed my long flaxen hair, I promised myself I would keep my long blonde tresses forever and ever … little knowing the hair horrors were to come.
Hoping for many more chapters in my life’s book (including one that involves a cruise around the world and riches beyond imagination),