Join the fun over at Mama’s Losin’ It
Sometimes I get the Writer’s Workshop prompts and work really hard to find one I want to write about. Most times there is only one prompt that calls to me. But this week, I found 4 out of 5 prompts saying “Me! Me! Pick me! You want to choose me!”
And, since I’ve been running a bit low on inspiration lately (I mean, I wrote about a paper bag puppet my husband made on Monday!), I decided I would write all four prompts that inspired me. But don’t worry, I won’t do them all today. I’m going to spread them out over the next few weeks. So what prompt will I write about today? Prompt #4 … come on down! You’re my next blog post!
Prompt 4: 30 things you vow to do this summer. (inspired by Maegan from Life Set To Words)
- I will force my Little One to attend the day camp I found for him whether he wants to go or not. (If we are forced to spend all day, every day together this summer, we will never survive. He must go to camp! And I can’t imagine him not liking it … it involves bouncing and art. The only downside it is only for three days a week).
- I will use my free time while the Little One is at camp wisely. (By blogging … err.. I mean, doing household chores.)
- I will start my own little school for the Little One so he doesn’t forget all the stuff he learned in kindergarten this year. (Plus this fulfills my dream of running my own school. I’m so excited … I’m going to make up little lesson plans and everything.)
- I will create a “Reading by Yourself” incentive program for the Little One to inspire him to read more (e.g., 5 books reads earns a trip to the ice cream stand). The Little One is doing pretty good at reading but is sometimes lazy (I mean … reluctant) about reading books on his own.
- I will entice children over to play at our yard as often as possible with an assortment of fun water-based activities so the Little One can play with friends and I can read a book while keeping an eye on them. (This is really a win-win situation. And I think this new addition to the household will do the trick.)
(Plus a sale that had this sucker marked $100 off!!)
This is my secret weapon to survive the summer!
Set up the slide … automatic playmates for the Little One!
Plus “Big Mama” (that would be me) can go on it too!
- I will not let my feet become dried out and gross … not when I’ll be wearing sandals or flip flops every day.
- I will keep up with painting my toenails and not let them be chipped and messy for weeks on end.
- I will maintain full control of the air conditioning. If I’m home all day and sweltering in the heat and humidity, Mr. Jenners gets NO SAY AT ALL about where the AC is set.
- I will remember to check my bikini area for possible “forestry” before wearing a swimsuit in public.
- I will not spend the first three days of our summer vacation bickering with Mr. Jenners. (We do this on every.single.vacation before we get into “vacation” mode.)
- I will change the hummingbird food regularly.
- I will remember to water the garden every day.
- I will read at least two books a week … possibly more if I can sneak it in.
- I will not blog as regularly because of my reduced free time. (You can either cheer or moan depending on how you feel about my blog. In the summer, my blogging gets really really erratic.)
- I will resist the urge to run to Mr. Softee each time I hear his annoying tinkling song.
- I will apply sunscreen EVERY DAY.
- I will make a half-hearted effort to keep up with the housework while the Little One is at camp. (No matter how tempting it is to just blog or read during that time.)
- I will limit blog redesigns to just changing the colors and background on my template. (How about red, white and blue for July? Watermelon background for August?)
- I will lose at least 10 pounds this summer … as long as I can fend off Mr. Softee and his Devil Chimes.
- I will make 95% of our meals on the grill.
- I will make sure to eat plenty of the summertime fruit that I won’t be able to get in the winter.
- I will regularly “service” Mr. Jenners without sulking or complaining about it. (Remember how I negotiated the purchase of that awesome water slide? Well, this is part of the price I pay.)
- I will not kill any hobos with hammers. (If you are not familiar with my blog, I don’t actually have a hobo killing problem. It is a personal quest of mine to see how many blog posts I can work this phrase into. You’d be surprised how often I can slip it in there.)
- I will go swimming at least three times and each time I will attempt to tread water for 5 minutes. (I give myself permission to stop treading if drowning seems imminent.)
- I will go skinny dipping. (Totally kidding. That wouldn’t be good for anyone.)
- I will let the Little One stay up as late as he wants one night and see what happens. (I bet he makes it until 9:00 pm and collapses in a heap.)
- I will encourage the Little One to master the use of the “pee hole” in his underwear.
- I will avoid posts that require you to list 30 items … this seems to be going on and on and on and I’m scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas.
- I will try to get a bluebird to land on my shoulder like Snow White.
- I will ride on a Segway and I will love it.
Serious about 85% of these vows,