This week I chose Prompt 1: List your life’s Seven Wonders. Describe the most amazing 7 things you’ve seen with your own two eyes.
Note: I find myself incapable of being serious for any length of time. I sincerely started this post with the intention of writing a moving tribute to the most amazing things I’ve seen in my life. However, a poor memory, a natural instinct for silliness and an aversion to things are just too sweet prevented me from being able to write an entirely serious post. However, I did manage 4.5 serious things before veering off track. (It was the rats.)
- The first night after my son was born, the nurse brought him to me at 2:00 a.m. to feed him. She left me alone with him. It was the first time the two of us had been alone. Just him and me. His eyes were wide and knowing. We stared at each other for the longest time. It filled me with wonder and amazement that this little person was my son and I was his mother. When he is driving me nuts, I think of that moment and it calms me.
- The night my grandmother died, I had a very vivid dream that involved reading a paperback book with lots of pictures of rings in them. At the funeral a few days later, I told my family about the dream. My aunt got a weird look on her face and said “Wait here a second.” She left the room and came back with a small box. She said “I was going to give you this later, but I realize that Grandmom already told you about it. This is her engagement ring, and she wanted you to have it. Grandpop designed it himself.” I’d never seen the ring before that day. I’m convinced that this dream was sent to me directly by my grandmother on the night she died.
- Walking outside at night when snow is falling fills me with wonder. The whole world seems hushed and quiet, and the sky has an almost orange glow to it. It feels so magical and peaceful that you can’t help but think the world is a truly beautiful and good place.
- I’ve been to some lovely natural places (Glacier National Park comes to mind), and whenever I’m in a place of stunning natural beauty, I feel a sense of wonder and amazement at this world we live in and how gorgeous it can be if left alone.
- When I was in college, I had two pet rats, which I thought were both females. Turns out, one was male and one was female. One day, the female rat went crazy pushing all the wood shavings into a pile and gathering material to make a little nest. She also took all the chew sticks and put them around the nest like little spikes. She then proceeded to have a litter of babies. Seeing this little rat’s natural instincts kick in to build a safe and protected nest for her babies amazed me. Sadly, she died not too long after in an unfortunate couch incident. I shall spare you the fate of the babies.
- I’ve told you about Crumbs Cupcake shop before. They have cupcakes almost as big as your head and they are filled with frosting INSIDE! What’s not to wonder about that?
- There have been maybe two times in my entire life that my hair was amazing and did everything I hoped it would and more. Sadly, both times happened on an ordinary day when nothing special was going on, and I have no photographic proof.